Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Running Update...

Okay crew, once again, sorry for the slow running update this week.

Most of you know, I’ve been struggling during the past 3 weeks of running – lots of pain.

For those who aren’t aware, I’ve been to the doctor, had x-rays and this morning, an MRI. I won’t know anything definitive until Monday when I see the hip doc again. He suspects a serious muscle tear, or a stress fracture in the hip.

I’ll be honest, based on the pain I’m feeling while walking, I’m looking doubtful to make the Pig. But, I’m staying positive and will continue to train on the elliptical machine until I know something for sure.

Of course, I’ll keep you posted. With all of the visits to the docs, my schedule has been cramped a bit, thus slow emails on my part.

We’re in crunch time, and have 2 more intense weeks of training before we taper down to allow your body to replenish before the Flying Pig.

I am going to strongly recommend that this Saturday, in lieu of 23 miles that we have scheduled, you only do 14 miles. We need a little less pounding before going up again next week.

Okay, so here's the game plan for this week:

Monday: Cross-training day. In the books.

Tuesday: 5 mile recovery run. In the books.

Wednesday: Another cross-training day. Done.

Thursday: Our final Yasso training run on a track. We're running twice around the track (800 meters) for X number of minutes (4 minutes if you're shooting for a 4 hour marathon, 4 minutes, 30 seconds if you're striving for a 4:30 marathon, etc). Between the 800's, jog slow (to recover) for the same number of minutes it took you to run your repeats. Tomorrow we'll do 10 intervals of 800 meters.

Friday: Another cross-training day. Stay strong - critically important right now with the super long run of last week, and the one next week.

Saturday: 14 miles! Go at a comfortable pace. Next week we'll go up to 24 miles.

Sunday: Rest!

The full 18 week running schedule is here!

I believe the Oakley running group is training tomorrow night - touch base with Leigh if you're wanting to go with them.

Keep at it, you're almost there!!

Your friend in fitness,

Brian Calkins

HealthStyle Fitness, Inc. 4325 Red Bank Rd Cincinnati, OH 45227 513-407-4665, x-105 www.CincinnatiFitness.com

No comments: